If you’ve been charged with a crime in Massachusetts you need an experienced and confident criminal defense lawyer. The criminal justice system is dangerous and unforgiving for those who are accused of a criminal offense. Whether you are charged with DUI or a serious felony violent crime, it is imperative that you take immediate action and contact the criminal defense lawyers at Doherty, Ciechanowski, Dugan & Cannon.
After an arrest, it can be assumed that the prosecution has decided that there is enough evidence to convict you in court, and the case will move forward relentlessly unless you take action to defend yourself with the assistance of skilled legal counsel.
Our Massachusetts criminal defense attorneys have experience in representing clients in all areas of criminal law including:
- Drunk Driving & Motor Vehicle Matters
- Felonies & Misdemeanors
- Juvenile Law
- Electronic Surveillance
- Drug Offenses
A need for an attorney in as criminal matter can begin long before a formal charge is ever brought. Many times, an attorney’s representation from the beginning of an incident or criminal investigation can limit a client’s exposure to charges or reduce the amount of adverse information and evidence collected during a pre-filing investigation. Too often, a person seeks out an attorney after having already given a statement to the police or has spoken to other people who are in a position to repeat what was said.
As a general rule, the police do not seek to determine who is innocent. Their role is to determine who is culpable and file the appropriate criminal charge. The standard of evidence for bringing a criminal charge is quite low – “probable cause”. Further, the standard, at times may be met by using hearsay evidence (repeating what someone else said). Giving a statement to the police more often than not assists them in confirming their information for charge purposes rather than exonerating the suspect. If the police have enough information to bring charges, you do not want to give them, any more. If they do not have enough, you do not want to be the source of the additional information necessary to complete the investigation.
Potential areas of representation by attorney during any criminal incident include the following:
- Pre-charge consultation during an ongoing investigation – limits statements and collection of evidence from the suspect.
- Testimony before the grand jury – though a witness is not allowed to have an attorney inside the grand jury proceedings, counsel may be present outside the proceedings and is often available to a witness for consultation during questioning. As a rule, witnesses may ask to consult with their attorney before answering any question put to them by the examining prosecutor during the grand jury proceedings.
- Representation at a Clerk Magistrate’s hearing – often the first step for many minor criminal violations brought to determine whether a criminal complaint should issue for arraignment.
- Arraignment – reading of formal criminal charges.
- All related post arraignment proceedings including plea negotiation and trial.
- Proffers with the District Attorney.
- Post trial or plea matters including modification and/or violation of probation or parole conditions.
- Relevant post-trial motions.
- Appeal of a conviction.
- Sealing or expunging of a criminal record.
- Advice on the collateral effect or impact of an entry on your Criminal Offender Record Information as it relates to present or future employment opportunities.
Our criminal defense attorneys represent clients throughout Massachusetts and in every county of Massachusetts including Norfolk County, Suffolk County, Worcester County, Bristol County, Middlesex County, Plymouth County, Hamden County, Essex County and Barnstable County. Our criminal defense lawyers represent clients in Massachusetts’ largest communities including the cities of Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, Cambridge, Brockton, New Bedford, Fall River, Lynn, and Quincy.
Our law offices are located in Franklin, MA and serve the Greater Boston MetroWest region and the neighboring towns of Bellingham, Milford, Upton, Hopedale, Holliston, Medway, Millis, Medfield, Norwood, Walpole, Sharon, Foxborough, Wrentham, Easton, Mansfield, North Attleboro, Norton, Plainville, Raynham, Taunton, Attleboro, Seekonk, Rehoboth, Uxbridge, Whittensville, and Worcester.